Driving Without Insurance Ticket in NJ
One of the most severely punished motor vehicle offenses in NJ is driving without insurance. It is a violation of the NJ Compulsory Motor Vehicle Insurance Law N.J.S.A. 39
Driving Without Insurance Penalties in NJ
It is important that you get legal representation when charged with driving without insurance. When found guilty of driving without insurance, certain mandatory penalties may be imposed on you. For first time offenders, they include:
- Being fined a minimum of $300 and a maximum of $1,000
- Suspension of your driver’s license for at least one year
- Court fees and costs
- A three-year surcharge fee of $250 by the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Being sentenced to community service for a period determined by the court
Some of the possible penalties for second-time offenders include the following.
- Being fined a minimum of $500 and a maximum of $5,000
- Community service of at least 180 hours or 30 days
- A two-year suspension of your driver’s license
- A Department of Motor Vehicles surcharge of $250
- Serving 14 days in jail
Additionally, subsequent offenders also find it extremely costly to obtain insurance as they are assessed for insurance eligibility points first. You will also be required to let the Motor Vehicle Commission Director know of your need to have your driver’s license reinstated by submitting an application for a license to operate a motor vehicle.
Driving Without Insurance Lawyer in New Jersey
If you have been charged with driving without insurance, it is important to seek the services of an attorney in New Jersey. Our team will work around the clock to protect your rights by preparing a strong defense that will either have the case dropped or the penalty reduced.
Driving without insurance in New Jersey carries punitive penalties that may not only affect your driving record but also determine the cost of your insurance. Therefore, you should not be quick to plead guilty by paying the fines, but rather get in touch with an attorney and fight the ticket.